Saturday, October 31, 2009

Machine Quilting


Well, I held my breath and just BEGAN. I try not to look until I have finished a section because it always feel like the stitching looks stark and intrusive on the quilt. As the stitching theme begins to cover the surface of the quilt top, there is s softening and a new character born in the quilt.

The feed dogs are down under the surface of the sewing needle guard so there is no advance of fabric when the pedal is depressed and the needle begins to sew. You hold the fabric and move it under the rapidly punching needle developing a speed, rhythm,and swing from the shoulders. I am a doodler with pen and paper so I just pretend I am doodling with the needle and fabric. There is a special machine quilting foot with a spring loaded mechanism and a clear plastic ring to allow better visual attention to your pattern.
I chose a blue thread in an effort to make the quilting further color and unify the blocks.
You see my trusty Bernina-consistent, quiet, able to sew at top speed without missing a stitch or tangling the bobbin. Can you see the pattern-like a hot air balloon concentrically repeated several times before beginning in another direction.
I have taken a break and will continue tomorrow. Machine quilting can be very tiring and monotonous and there is always a tendency to RUSH which may produce a sloppy pattern result. I don't want to slip up-this is for my grandson!!

No comments:

Post a Comment