Friday, September 4, 2009

tomatoes -garden yield


My husband Bill built this wonderful country cupboard to match our red kitchen. I just love it (and sunflowers-can you tell). He helped me arrange the tomatoes for this photo-I think he likes the idea that his cupboard might be "internet-Famous"



If you happen to have surplus tomatoes from your garden..............consider roasting them in the oven with fresh garlic and olive oil.





The aroma will bring you to a place somewhere in Sicily and thoughts of winter will be more appealing. I scoop up the roasted tomato with the juice and garlic into freeze ready pints. I have been using the "Ball" brand with the screw on tops and the plastic containers have held up well -the frozen tomatoes can be freed from the container with just a warm water rinse to the outside of the pint. I use the tomato-garlic olive oil mixture to "jump start" my pasta sauce or as a soup starter.
I have so many more tomatoes-I may cold pack the rest and pressure can them. It depends on how the day evolves.........................I kept thinking-"could be quilting" all day............although I did sneak in a few rows of knitting. Have to show you what I am knitting tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. We'll have to change "tuna, tuna" to "salmon-salmon"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Showed up in the wrong spot. My fault???? lisa

    ReplyDelete